Wednesday, February 2, 2011

33/365... Blizzard of 2011 joy

The storm started at the exact time it was predicted to start. At 3:00 pm Tuesday afternoon, the blizzard began. The wind made it difficult to see 10 feet in front of you. There was thunder and lightening. The snow came harder and the wind got stronger. It was scary and exciting to watch the storm unfold.

When I woke up this morning, I was in awe. It was jaw-dropping. The world around me looked like a fierce ocean of snow with waves at least 5 feet tall. And yet, it was so peaceful.
2 February -1

2 February -8

2 February -9

2 February -10

My babies' reactions to the snow were all different.
#1 was the first one to throw on his snow gear to help daddy shovel and dive in the snow waves.
2 February -3

2 February -5

2 February -11

#2 was excited to put on her snow gear because that's what big brother did. She is a monkey see, monkey do kind of kid. She did not like getting stuck in the deep snow.
2 February -7

2 February -13

#3 said "oh man" when he saw the snow. The time it took me to put his snow gear on far longer than the time he was outside.
2 February -4
#4 was interested in the idea of playing in the snow until the reality of it all proved that snow that blows in your face and goes over your head is not fun to a 2-year old. He just wanted to stay inside and play with his cars anyway.
2 February -2

The thing that amazed me about the day was the genuine kindness of others. Family and neighbors helped plow driveways without asking for anything in return. They were just there to help.

And as the day came to an end, the storm clouds disappeared.
2 February -14

Blizzard of 2011 joy.


Day 2 | Joy of Love: "how they look"

Her facial description says it all...
"Mom, I don't like playing in snow that is over my head"

how they look

In other news...the only disappointment that I had from the day was that we couldn't celebrate my mom's birthday with her. I know that we will have a chance to celebrate together very soon. Love you so very much, mom! Happy Birthday!!

9 comments:

Misty February 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM  

Wowza! That's a lot of snow! Great pictures. I enjoyed them all. Each of their reactions was priceless.

Marcie February 3, 2011 at 4:41 PM  

All of these pictures are amazing, it's great to see each of them and get the whole story! Thanks for sharing!!!

grandmabish February 3, 2011 at 7:51 PM  

Love, love, love the snow shots. Looks like you got buried!

Branson February 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM  

What a great collection of photos! Glad you could find the joy in all the snow!

Carrie February 3, 2011 at 11:01 PM  

These are such amazingly beautiful photos. You really captured the snow in a creative and fun way.

Tamra February 4, 2011 at 6:26 AM  

One of my favorite things about huge snowstorms is how friendly and generous everyone is. If only it would last through the rainy season! Great snow shots!

Kristin February 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM  

And here I was all excited this morning when we woke up to a 1/2" of snow! And I love how your snow shots are so perfectly exposed...I had some trouble with that today.

Angela February 5, 2011 at 12:44 AM  

WOW! That is a ton of snow. I thought we were doing good with our Texas 6" worth of snow. I can only imagine!

Photography February 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM  

WOW I just can't imagine this!! So much snow.