Wednesday, January 5, 2011

5/365... Surgery day joy

My sweet little man had surgery to correct the hydrocele this morning.

We did our best to explain to him in 2-year old terms what was going to happen. He didn't understand until he started to see little clues that the day was going to be a little different. Eating jell-o for breakfast was the first clue.

His reaction to being poked and prodded went as we expected. He was fearful and anxious. Then... they gave him drugs to settle him down. It broke my heart to see him so out of it.

The surgery was pretty quick. We were separated from him for less than an hour. He looked so peaceful when we went in the recovery room. When he woke up, the peacefulness was gone. He was pretty upset about the IV, the gown, not being in daddy's truck and having no shoes on.

The nurses and doctor told us to expect him to not eat much for the first 24-hours. He has eaten 3 bowls of cereal, pasta, and raisins.

It has been hard to see him so uncomfortable but cuddling seems to make him feel better. We spent the afternoon cuddling together.

I think he will feel better in no time.

Surgery day joy.

5/365

Our family greatly appreciates all of the thoughts and prayers. It means so very much to us. From the bottom of our hearts... thank you.

In other news... Happy Birthday to our dear friend, Katie! We hope you had a wonderful day!!! Love you!

23 comments:

TOLIVER FAMILY January 5, 2011 at 8:41 PM  

i LOVE this comp~

Sarah Phillips January 5, 2011 at 8:43 PM  

So glad that it's over and he's recovering well. <3 Is that a CM chap stick in his hand? LOL

Diane January 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM  

We love this little man <3 Extra cuddlin' from his Aunti and Uncle. We are so glad that he's doing well. (and still eating!) LOL

Sandy Tracy January 5, 2011 at 9:03 PM  

Thinking and praying for a quick recovery!

Vicki January 5, 2011 at 9:05 PM  

Your family had been in my thoughts... glad to hear everything went well today!

grandmabish January 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM  

I'm so glad to hear that everything went well. I hope he will be able to sleep tonight and feel fine soon.

Melanie January 5, 2011 at 9:13 PM  

So glad everything went well. I think seeing your kids hurt, hurts so much worse than if it's happening to you. I hope he feels lots better tomorrow.

Anonymous January 5, 2011 at 9:43 PM  

What a great photo. The expression on the dad's face is perfect in the corner, and the baby looks content. Hopefully he feels better soon. Cuddling always makes things better.

Hannah January 5, 2011 at 11:05 PM  

I'm so glad it went well. My son had his first surgery at two and I remember how rough it was in recovery. I know you are relieved it is over and all is well. I hope you get to decompress a little too.

Cooking with Big E January 5, 2011 at 11:11 PM  

I feel your pain, my just turned 5 year old had eye surgery in August and the scariest thing I've ever witnessed was watching her slowly wake up from the anesthesia. They told us she probably wouldn't be hungry as well and she was immediately hungry! So glad I packed some applesauce cups and crackers!

Laurie January 5, 2011 at 11:26 PM  

So happy it went well. My littlest guy will be having hernia surgery soon. :( So, I'll know how you feel.

tatyannashope January 5, 2011 at 11:55 PM  

Poor little man! Praying for a speedy recovery for him.

Melinda January 6, 2011 at 12:07 AM  

Sending prayers your way! I know he will be fine. And there you are- taking a beautiful, poignant photo! Sweet!

Melinda January 6, 2011 at 12:10 AM  

Mrs. Anderson is melindaroo from clickin moms- can't seem to get rid of my teacher name! :)

Branson January 6, 2011 at 12:52 AM  

Poor lil guy! Hope he feels better soon!

Courtney January 6, 2011 at 5:58 AM  

I hope he feels better! It's hard to see them like that. I'll be continuing to pray for him and your family :O)

Stephanie January 6, 2011 at 7:13 AM  

I'm glad it went well and hope he is soon 100%!

Keara @ Now I Know What Life Is All About January 6, 2011 at 8:10 AM  

Poor sweet baby boy.

Amy January 6, 2011 at 12:20 PM  

aww, poor little guy. Glad everything went well and hope he feels better soon!

Jennifer Gammon January 6, 2011 at 2:39 PM  

So glad it went well. Beautiful picture, you really captured the moment.

alyson mclean photography January 6, 2011 at 4:09 PM  

so glad to hear your little one is doing well! I practice anesthesia every day at the Children's Hosptial in Boston and know exactly what you were going through! I'm so happy that it went well!! Love your photos!!! Such inspiring work!!!! XOXO

Photography January 6, 2011 at 10:21 PM  

Beautiful capture. I hope he is okay now. I remember when my lil one had some dental work done. I couldn't watch her be put out ;-(

Nicoleann January 7, 2011 at 5:23 PM  

Praying for a speedy recovery!